Thursday, June 26, 2008

ICU

I have an interview with RMH this morning. And I have alot of very nervous energy. So I thought, I'll blog abt my time in ICU. Considering I have mentioned all of my other rotations this year.

What can I say abt ICU. It has been a lot breezier than I thought it would be. I finish between 9-11 am most mornings, leaving me wondering WTF do i for the rest of the day. Yeah. Good one.

It's not all bad certainly. I do like not having to be in hospital for long periods of time. Of course I am bored. But that's the story of life so far this year.

I have learnt some things during my ICU rotation:
* Purple scrubs are pretty cool. I do like seeing them.
* ICU medicine in its most basic terms is really maintaining someone's blood pressure, someone's airway. Really. Very basic.
* ICU however can be very complicated when they start talking abt x and y and area under curves and equations of which I've never heard of.
* ICU doctors LOVE to talk. They can't get enough of it. They just HAVE to talk. Regardless of the topic. Even if the topic should only last 15 mins. They keep talking til 2 hrs have passed. Doesn't help me learn medicine better. Sorry doctors.
* Some actual weird medical stuff I've learnt: Typhitis, Rassauman's encephalitis, HIT screen...there's more but that's what I've learnt at the top of my head.
* Pneumothorax is the flavour of the month. Almost every patient who came into ICU ended up developing pneumothorax. Lovely.
* Subcutaneous emphysema is WOW AWESOME in terms of signs and x rays. Damn that's some air in ur body.

Anyway, I better head off and get ready for this interview. I'M NERVOUS PPL. I HATE FEELING NERVOUS!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home