The things I've learnt
I'm currently on my surgery rotation, doing vascular surgery which I find more exciting than general surgery (no, really). I am a little worried though, bc I haven't actually touched gastro stuff for 2 yrs now, and realised I won't all year round so this is going to be interesting for me as an intern!
Anyway, having been at this for 7 wks I have learnt 3 distinct lessons that are medically based life lessons. I will share them:
#1. Do whatever in your power to prevent yourself from getting dementia.
Yes, this is a very important lesson. Dementia is not a pretty disease, it is horrible way to die bc u die slowly and wo knowing urself or ur family. That is not a life. Not for you, not for your family. So continue to read, continue to learn. I feel this means I will forever will try to learn a new language, learn something new in med (BORING), expand into business studies, play many games on playstation (bc u have to use co-ordination and shit, and if that doesn't convince u that ur using ur brain, play those nintendo ds games where they're like increase ur smartness!) and continue to be fascinated by the world. If u keep ur brain active, u decrease ur risk of Alzheimer's. Also, stay healthy (don't get high cholestrol, don't smoke) so u decrease ur risk of vascular dementia.
#2. Do not get fat and get diabetes.
Another seemingly easy lesson that we ALL should know in the back of our minds but in all seriousness, DO NOT GET FAT, DO NOT GET DIABETES. It is simple really, u get fat, u get diabetes, u increase ur risk (BY ALOT) of having some sort of vascular disease. If u have some sort of vascular disease, u will eventually get:
- A stroke of some kind
- A heart attack
- Blockage of vessels to ur legs
And if that doesn't stop u from GETTING FAT, GETTING DIABETES, well here's a lesson learnt: every diabetic patient who starts to lose sensation in their legs/feet WILL HAVE AN AMBUTATION SOONER OR LATER. Oh yes, it is brutal surgery to see them CRUNCH into a bone while they take a toe off, ur big toe off, ur FOOT, UR LEG. And it isn't pleasant, when ur fat, and u have only one leg to stand on. U will not be able to move from there onwards. Trust me, don't get to this point. Eat healthy, keep exercising AND DON'T SMOKE (bc funny enough, even when ur not fat but u smoke and somehow u got diabetes, u still get ur foot chopped off).
#3. If the heavens look favourably on u, have a family. (And if not favourably, find other friends who are just as unlucky and 'make' a family).
U do not want to have to get to the point of dying, and die alone. Or get to a point in life where u did GET FAT, and u did GET DIABETES, and u ended up w a infected ulcer but ur co mordities have rendered that any sort of active treatment will kill u anyway, but no active treatment means u will die sooner. Yep, I have a patient who is facing that dilemma, trying to chose which way to kill herself bc unfortunately, she didn't know abt life lesson #2 and is at the point where whatever we do medically, is pallative. And she has no family, no husband, no sons, no daughters, no sisters or brothers, no nieces or nephews for her to talk to, for those ppl to comfort her. She doesn't even speak english. And it is very tough. U do not want to reach that point in life and realise u are alone bc at the end of the day, when u've got tough decisions to make, u need support. I can not stress this enough, u need ppl. Of course this scares the shit out of me considering the whole no bf issue, but still, have a family. Seriously.
Of course, these things have been said for a lifetime now. But it is amazing how when u see how it really affects ppls lives that it sinks in. I have been on vascular for a wk and u have no idea how many ambutations i've seen. All on fat, diabetic patients. Having been on aged care where everyone is demented, and then having my grandma possibly going through it, it is one of the saddest diseases to get. It is very painful, mainly for ur family who remember but I'm sure if the patient had one little tiny clue, they would see how crap their life has become. If u still don't understand, watch the notebook and see how sad that turned out for the old grandparents.
And then finally, I unfortunately have met and seen a few patients who have no family. And when they're terribly sick, and they have to make a medical decision, it is so sad, so wrong to see them struggle on their own bc they have no one else to turn to. We as doctors have to maintain a professional distance, but it is still heartwretchingly bad, to watch them tackle these decisions and have it dawn on them, "crap, I'm alone".
So I am going to try and uphold to these life lessons. At the end of the day, I think #3 is the most important. Having said that, I think it helps me make my career choice. And if that's how I can justify it w myself, then I'm happy to let it be.
Just remember, don't get dementia, dont get fat and get diabetes, have a family of any sort. Really, any family that u love and loves u back is enough.

1 Comments:
Good life lessons dude. We just did diabetes last week and obesity this week. Makes me want to take up running or something.
One problem: ICECREAM. IT'S TOO YUMMY.
Post a Comment
<< Home