Edinburgh, Scotland
So this post is 2 wks late but I've got to do this one today so that I can get to my London post.
Edinburgh is a very lovely city. It has a new town and an old town, and the cheaper area (read the area we stayed at) was old town...which happens to be on a hill top.
Word of warning for anyone who wants to go to Edinburgh on a budget. Get good shoes. Bring an umbrella. There are multiple hills to walk up and down (my body gave up in protest when I returned to London) and the weather is the most tempermental thing ever. Swear that it has constant PMS.
Apart from this it is a great place to go visit. I am glad that we went to Dublin first, because otherwise I'm sure that we would have felt very let down when we compared it to Edinburgh. Another piece of advice for anyone going to Edinburgh, go during the fringe festival. Worth the extra stress of having to find a place to stay bc its so busy, worth the busier crowds, worth everything more during the festival.
So what did we do while we were there? We took 2 day tours out of Edniburgh bc our original plan fell through (ah the stress of that got to all of us). We went up to the highlands (but not as high up as I think I would have liked) and saw some very beautiful scenery. Of course I missed out on most of it and the tour guides' explanation of the history bc I fall asleep as soon as I enter a bus. It's called conditioning. Becky's pictures (becky takes a picture per second) have been good in showing me what I have missed. LOL.
We also went to St.Andrews bc well, Prince William went there. It is a nice quaint town but if u ever go, DONT pay to go into the castle. In our attempts to see as many castles as we can, we decided yes, we should go to the St Andrew's castle. What a waste of time and money. It hurt alot. LOL.
Every night we went back to Edniburgh. And every night we went to a new hostel. Man that was tough. Luckily, we only had our backpacks and not our bigarse luggage. We had some good experience with the hostels actually. Our first night was at a new hostel, so it was clean, it was nice and the beds were big. We stayed in a room of 6 and 2 of the ppl we stayed with were already asleep when we got there (at 11pm). Party people. Attempting to do things in the dark is a very interesting experience indeed. I'm going to enjoy that alot during our big travels.
Our 2nd hostel was grudgier and we had to stay in an 8 dorm room. Bags everywhere, bodies everywhere and lucky us, we all got top bunk beds. Not that top bunk beds are a problem, but they sorta are when they're small beds, there's no ladder to get to the top and there's no safety rail for u. Hmmmmm. Luckily I didn't fall unto bags/bodies. It was like going to camp again (well hostel staying is like going to camp again) but this hostel DID have cable TV which meant we watched spiderman 2. haha.
Our 3rd hostel was actually an apartment and was it pretty. We all got 3 separate rooms, our own kitchen, a nice bathroom. We weren't so sure what to do with all that space. HAHAHA.
Our last night we went back to our original hostel and again stayed in a 6 bed dorm.But our sole room mate's smell was too much for becky who asked to be moved...and somehow we got moved into a 4 dorm room w no one else in it. OH YES. private for the same price of a 6 dorm room.
Edinburgh itself is a nice little town. We went and saw alot of the fringe festival. Free comedy shows at night, that lead us going to see a comedian who is hilarious spontaneously, not so much with his routine. We saw Guy Hollingworth, a magician, who's manager happened to be NEIL PATRICK HARRIS. Ah meeting famous people, can take that off my list now. We saw the 2 castles we can see. Hollyrood Palace is LOVELY, that's why the queen still lives there I suppose, and Edniburgh castle was like Tower of London but more expensive ( I did get into Tower of London for a pound) and not as much detail or fun.
Overall, a very enjoyable experience. Shall I do the one sentence thing again? Edinburgh is rainy, sunny, hills, more hills, keep going on hills, Arthur's seat, thighs dying, ankle stress fracture, smelling shoes, very smelling shoes, great shopping, hills, NEIL PATRICK HARRIS, Guy, parade, policeman, sun with rain, haggis, tattis, lovely country side, lochs, wonderful people.
I will actually go back to Scotland next time I'm in europe. Tina, you may join me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home